View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekgeekscott View Post
Well, let's look at that again.

First. Kirk, though not in command of the vessel, is the highest ranking person on board the ship.
Second. Harriman, having likely overseen part of the construction of the ship, probably would have known the ship systems better (I thought it was a bit preposterous that Kirk would know where and how to do what needed to be done on ship he had likely never even stepped foot on until that day).
Third. Kirk wasn't a crewmember, he was essentially an honored guest, a digniatary there for a ceremony.

Harriman should have gone. At worst, Scotty should have gone. Kirk having been a starship commander for more than 30 years at that point, probably wouldn't have known enough to do what needed to be done.

Some good points. let's examine them.

First-As we know from countless TOS episodes, the senior officer on board can assume Command or do pretty much what they want without much grounds to go on.

Second-Kirk being the dilligent senior officer he is would know where basic item/room on any ship would be located. I cannot imagine deflector control is that far off location wise, than it was on his ship.
Besides I am sure he has kept abreast of the latest ship designs. While I am postive he was not as knowlegeable as Harriman on specifics of the ship, I am sure he can generally find his way to major areas. If he was unsure there was a MAP in the Turboilift, like on his ship.

Scotty couldn't have gone, he was too busy keeping the ship in one peice in the wave. I would assume for a photo op "milk run" as planned they did not being an Cheif Engineer, or have one yet.

I would assume reversing the polarity of the tractor/deflector beam is fairly easy. Looked that way. As we have seen in many Trek episodes, command people must have a general overveiw of ship operations. i would assume during tours of duty while on his way to becoming a Starship Captain, I would assume he did a tour in deflector control, as he owuld have all departments. Also a 30+ year realtionship with Scotty probably gave him pleant of basic working knowlege.

Harriman needed to be on the bridge to command the ship and to oversee whatever plan was implimented, not abandoning his post to save a senoir officer a trip to make a minor change when Kirk was just standing around anyway with no function.