View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Sigh. Just compare the initial audience of TOS (Anybody here on the board saw TOS when it first aired?) with the total audience of TOS. The show got canceled yet it is still popular so there vanishes your high ratings equal quality nonsense. If you applied it consistently which you obviously do not want to you would have to say the same thing about Firefly and TOS as about ENT. It got cancelled, nobody watched it, it is crap!
The stupid ratings during the first run are utterly irrelevant and tell you nothing about how many people will watch the show over decades in several places because the stupid ratings are limited to one place and one time.

But even if we had total viewership numbers over space and time it would be irrelevant (unless you own Viacom stocks and care about how much money the company makes ... but then you care about capital income and not about product quality). Millions of people eat at McDonalds. Doesn't mean the food is anything but utter crap. If there is any correlation between $$$ and quality it is a negative one. Pop music sells better than classical music, junk food sells better than good food, Michael Bay flicks sell better than Bergman movies and so on.
First of all, 'crap' is your choice of words here and not mine. I've never dismissed ENT as 'crap' because it got canceled. I don't think it's crap. I am currently in the process of watching the BluRays, which I believe I have mentioned previously on this very thread.

(On a partially-related note, you have on more than one prior occasion said you would be "first to concede" that most of VOY and the first three seasons of ENT were, again in your words, "crap." So I don't get it. However this is not really relevant. But I don't get it.)

We are not comparing pop music to classical music, Michael Bay to Bergman, junk food to good food, or even Classic Trek (which is a whole generation apart) to Berman Trek (a term which I do not employ in derogatory fashion). We are comparing Berman Trek to Berman Trek. Berman Trek was on for eighteen consecutive years, and what happened to its audience during that span of time is as relevant as anything that's happened to it since. I never said those numbers were the final word on the subject, or that there couldn't have been other contributing factors to those numbers over their eighteen-year span, however they ARE relevant. Eighty-three percent of viewers, for whatever reason, left the franchise at various points between 'All Good Things' and 'These Are the Voyages'.