View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Not at all!

It just makes me think of McCoy in 'The Voyage Home' after talking to Spock - 'You're telling me I have to DIE to discuss your insights on death?'. Characters that have a history and a relationship just having a moment.

Way I see it in a long running thing like Trek possibly more than the specific ideas and values it's the characters who keep you with a show for decades and keep coming back to it. And I don't think the original Trinity was necessarily bettered in the series for the adventures and cameraderie they shared. I don't know if I feel the rest of the crew got there til the films but the sense that these people were each other's family (even though they never started out that way) came through.

I did feel that happened in TNG as well because of the cast chemistry they all shared but the writing and talking probably was a little more formal at times. But it still was there.

And I think that's what gets you through the weak episodes, the bad episodes and makes you enjoy the good and great ones as well. The characters. For me, that's been recaptured with the Abrams cast again even though there's been some changes.

Well told, sir!

Something else I like about the JJ Trek crew's relationships to each other...these are mostly people who came up through the same class (except for Spock, who was already a commissioned officer, as was Scotty, Sulu, and Chekov).

But the point I am getting at is just how many people actually have the sense of familiarity with Kirk...to be able to address him by first name, and on a more frequent basis than in the original series.

Scotty ever only called Kirk "Jim" once, as I recall, in the original series. And that was in "Mirror, Mirror" I believe, in an act of urgency to keep Kirk from remaining in the mirror universe while his crew gets back to their own.

In the new movies, Scotty refers to Kirk as Jim quite a few times...but, that could also largely have to do with the fact that they became friends before Kirk attained his captaincy. Uhura could get away with calling Kirk "Jim" probably in private or less formal instances since they both came through the same class together, as did McCoy and Kirk. In fact, pretty much everyone on the ship knew him as Jim Kirk, before they knew him as Captain James T. Kirk. Even a junior officer like Lt. Carol Marcus referred to him as "Jim" be they in dire circumstances or even more benign ones. The ones least likely to refer to Kirk as Jim would probably be Sulu and Chekov....but it is out of respect that they refer to him as Captain. They were already commissioned officers, and Kirk proved out to be just who they needed to lead them. He is their Captain by their measure.

To me, this is a reflection of StarFleet's standing. That it is not a fully military organization. They are explorers, as Scotty rightfully pointed out. The use of ranks is merely a formality. It's not like everyone would be calling out "Hey, Jim" from the bridge, but it is nice to see that in less formal circumstances (or perhaps more urgent ones that call for discretion between officers addressing each other), just about any crewmember could call their captain by his or her first name.