View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 AM
Federation Councillor

I guess it depends on the angle you're looking at it all from if there's differences over what was necessarily at fault.

Being more practical a set of factors beyond Berman and Braga probably did contribute over the years considering the decline wasn't an overnight event and wasn't attributable to one single episode or film where you can point and say.....'THAT was when it started'.

As much as I make no pretence about being a fan of Braga generally (borne out by his subsequent work anyway) probably the idea that Berman 'killed it with kindness' and a boxed in version of the Roddenberry vision might come closer to what I really think happened. Whatever, it did happen and as much as I don't dislike Abrams or his team I don't think the films magically turned it all around.

The first film gave it a jolt...........but as much as I enjoyed the second film it hasn't sustained that jolt (it did underperform relative to what Paramount spent and clearly hoped to gain but it didn't flop either. It's in the middle ground). My concern is that Paramount decides to continue the film franchise but start going cheap again on the film front.

Because put simply, while Darkness was broadly well recieved they spent far too much money making it.

courtesy of Saquist