View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 03:43 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Song inspired by Neelix and Kes

When I first watched the VOY pilot and saw Neelix and Kes tell Captain Janeway they wanted to join the crew and head for Earth, I picked up a guitar in search of a song about refugees from other planets who had heard nothing but nice things about Earth and wanted to immigrate. The result is song titled Legend Of The Planet Earth.

I used MIDI files (because of the small file size) of this and nine other songs I teased out of a guitar or piano as wake-up music for the alarm function of my LCARS system starting in about 2001. That function can be set for MP3 or voice instead, so I suspect most users pay little attention to my songs. And this is the only one that's Trek-related. Here's a new recording I made. I may put it on YouTube eventually, but I asked my sister to take a crack at it in the hopes that she can sing it better.

I made a video showing the notes and lyrics as the song progresses, and if I can get a better recording it will be easy to drop that right into the video. This is also good practice for making a demo of my LCARS system to put on YouTube, which is quite a bit more work but not as much as I thought, since making this little song video gave me an idea for an easier way to put that together. This was my first attempt to make a video. So I learned a few things.

The idealized vision of Earth held by aliens who have never been here may seem overreaching in the song but perhaps pretty close to the overall impression of the Trek version of 24th-century Earth, with weather control, a cleaned-up natural environment, elimination of poverty, replicators, transporters, etc.

Here it is in storage with the files for my Web site. This link should activate it.
http://lcars24.com/Earth.wmv