View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

I disagree.

Quote:
you can never see enough Klingons
Yes, you can. There were e.g. little fresh Klingon stuff in DS9 and VOY.
As I always say, these guys believe that you just need familiar ingredients to cook a good meal.

Quote:
You can’t talk about Trek and not talk about the Borg, and certainly about Q. Very iconic adversaries from The Next Generation which is, outside of the original cast films, was my entry way into Star Trek, so I wouldn’t mind getting – towards the end of our run on Star Trek, maybe baby Picard could be born. There has to be some sort of crossover we’re not thinking of.
I am a second generation Trek viewer as well and I frankly admit that I will never become much of a TOS fan (but then again even adamant TOS fans like Zim admit that the show had about 10 good episodes and the rest of them are roughly evenly split between average and bad) ... but I nonetheless advocate a retro 22nd century series and wouldn't even dream of mixing anything of TNG (except for its more accurate portrayal of Gene's vision and its superior Romulans) into a TOS movie.
The problem isn't that Lindelof cares too little about the original timeline, the problem is that he and Orci (I don't think any of the other guys involved has seen much Trek) care too much about it. And not in a good, creative 'being inspired by what came before you' but in a stupid, fanboyish 'gee, I wanna see that stuff again' way.