View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

I understand these people. As you pointed out there are selection effects like during the settlement of the New World, the daring and stubborn people move to the border whereas the timid and risk-averse do not.
But unlike in the real world history where economic forces played a large role (Land was far more scarce in Europe than labour whereas in America it was the other way around (after the Indians who were on the land were killed) so wages were higher in America.) in the fictional world of Trek people move to the border not because they have to but because they want to.
There is peace and prosperity in the core world of the Federation but people do not wanna lie on the sofa all day. They wanna actually do something constructive with their lives, they wanna feel useful and create something even when they are not economically forced to do so. So I perfectly understand why the people in the DMZ did not want to leaves their homes, it was their lives' work.
Just like Picard cannot imagine to leave Starfleet or his brother cannot imagine quitting to produce wine these people cannot imagine another life.

But these are just psychological issues and they hardly outweigh the benefits of peace. Less corpses matter more than people having to abandon their life's work ... unless you really wanna go down the "blood, sweet and tears" path and praise the harsh and dangerous life of real men in the colonies over the comfortable life of decadent Starfleet officers. But I do not think you really want to as this real men vs. decadent (Jews) is basically fascist ideology: "The weak must be chiselled away. I want young men and women who can suffer pain. A young German must be as swift as a greyhound, as tough as leather, and as hard as Krupp's steel."

Last edited by horatio : 06-03-2013 at 08:33 AM.