View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I don't think that's it. When Kirk confronts Marcus, he does so by revealing that he knows Khan's identity. Marcus demands that Kirk hand over Khan. Kirk didn't mention the torpedoes, and neither did Marcus in his demands. I don't think Marcus knows Kirk has all 72 of them. I think Khan outsmarted him.

I think Khan may have put his men in those torpedoes to hide them from Marcus.

I think I need to watch this again
I just got back from watching it a second time and Admiral Marcus definatly knows Khan's crew is in those torpedoes. He was trying to eliminate 73 birds with 72 stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
He ordered Kirk to fire them at Harrison knowing that there were no warheads in them, relying on the explosions from the excess fuel in them to be enough to kill Harrison and draw the attention of the Klingons.
The warheads on those torpedoes were armed. I'm pretty sure it was the fuel/propulsion system that was unclear which is why Scotty wanted the specs.

Quote:
No... When Kirk confronts Marcus about it, Marcus mentions that he'd hoped Kirk would just have followed orders and never find out what was in the torpedoes.

Harrison at this point knew that Marcus had discovered his people and thought Marcus had killed them all.

He only finds out that this is not the case when Sulu states very explicitly in his threat how many torpedoes there were. Up until that point he had no idea what Marcus had done to his people.
You're correct that Khan specifically says Admiral Marcus found out about him hiding his crew in the torpedoes and he specifically says to Kirk "I assumed Admiral Marcus killed my crew." Why did Khan make that assumption? That is a pretty big assumption to go on a murderous revenge spree with out any evidence to back it up. Shouldn't Khan have verified what happen to his crew first?

Quote:
Harrison did put the cryo tubes in the torpedoes, because he knew the shielding would prevent them from being discovered too easily. Presumably he hoped to stage some testing of the torpedoes and steal the vessel that carried them and escape to safety.

That plan changed when Marcus discovered the bodies inside the torpedoes.
Now your left to make assumptions because the writers didn't really give us good reason for "why the torpedoes?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
The whole premise of hiding them in the torpedoes is dumb. The old Khan's smarter than that!
It seems weird to me as well. How did Khan put all 72 of his crew in to those torpedoes? How did he even have access to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
How come Khan was allowed to wander around London without so much as tracking device planted somewhere inside his body so he could be easily located and beamed to a secure location at a moments notice. Was he not being watched at all? Section 31 must be lazy in this timeline.
I agree, Section 31 and Admiral Marcus are starting to look pretty stupid.