View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Inbetween watching the film a second time I also went back and specifically rewatched 'Space Seed' and for anyone who remembers it's content there are some things which could explain some events in the film, and which could be construed as using the white space of the TV episode as the formation of the film.

Since the film is kind of like the alternate version of 'Space Seed' fused with TWOK anyway.

The first interesting point comes in respect of Marcus awakening Khan. In 'Space Seed', when the Botany Bay is found and boarded it's Khan's cryostasis chamber that begins to reactivate him automatically. As Marla McGivers noted, sometimes the leader of a ship was set to revive first to assess their situation. It would be perfectly reasonable to assume something similar may have happened when Khan was found by Marcus.

Either that, or Marcus somehow knew enough to know who he was.

Once Khan is aboard the ship Bones scans him and notes that 'something within him refuses to let him die'. That's never quite specifically explained but something in his blood perhaps? This could be writers exploiting vagueness in TOS. Something perhaps unique to Khan over the generic supermen with him. We'll likely never know for sure.

On the face of it, using him to design weapons by exploiting his natural talents seems odd, but then in 'Space Seed' Khan himself says 'I used to be an engineer' and expresses immediate interest in reading up on the ship's systems and technology. He also seems to figure out enough of how the ship works to allow him to take control of it and threaten the crew. So, he's in some ways a demonstrably quick study. Later 2D thinking notwithstanding.

Now, for sure that's not in the film (does it absolutely need to be - I guess people will differ on that) but since the writers will be assuming fans will be familiar with 'Space Seed' there would be no need to say that over again I think.

Transwarp beaming is probably being over-highlighted. It's still essentially a secret from Starfleet in general as they whipped it from Scotty and promptly Marcus gave it to Section 31 to play with. If it wasn't for Khan needing to steal it to escape Earth it isn't likely that Section 31 would make it widely known they have such a toy. In and of itself it's a bit of a convenient piece of tech to move people around but so were dimensional transporters between Universes in DS9 and transwarp conduits in VOY.
I have to admit it has been a long time since I have seen "Space Seed" so that clears up several things. I'm confused though, are these films made or not made for Star Trek fans? I don't mind that these guys revisited Khan but they did claim the whole point of ST2009 was to eliminate ST cannon to allow them to come up with new stories. Now here they're relaying on people's prior knowledge of old stories from the series and films. If anything hopefully this will make people want to see "Space Seed" and that will lead them to better Trek. I feel like these writers only realized their stupidity after it was pointed out to them online and that is why they were trying to fix the mistakes they made in ST2009 like Kirk becoming captain way to quickly, transwarp beaming, etc. in this film. I can almost guarantee that these writers didn't actual think threw how the discovery of transwarp beaming would effect the universe they created. I mean a broken down shuttle transporter was able to achieve transwarp beaming, could you image what a full blown working starship transporter could do? Oh right, transporters only work when the writers want them to and otherwise don't when the writers want to do something that doesn't make sense when you have transporters. Seriously the transporters in STID are the most unreliable piece of starship equipment in this universe. Anyway they've made another pretty big mistake if you ask me in this one by basically curing death. Like I said here, I half expect to see Khan in the next film in some sort of status chamber with his blood being harvested. Again I don't think these writers think concepts threw all that much. They seem to care more about what is visually on the screen vs. things making sense which is why there are so many holes in these two films.