View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Ah, involuntary parody. This is hardly surprising, the Galaxy Quest factor already impacted the previous movie. I guess this is bound to happen when you hire the most unoriginal writers in the quadrant.
I agree, involuntary parody. They also made Nero yell "Spock! Spock!." in a "Khaaaaaaaaaaaan!" like fashion in ST2009. The original "Khan!" yell is something that can not be replicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalLonestarX View Post
perosnally i loved kirks deathscene and the small appearance of leanord nimoy. giving the new spock an edge on khan. gave a really nice alternate way to handle khan without the events that occured in the prime timeline.

and it worked. the movie was brilliant.
Agree, I also loved the reversal of the Spock and Kirk death scene. I thought it was one of the stronger scenes in the film as it is well acted. The reused dialog worked here except for the Khan yell. They should of have left it out like they did the "I have been and always shall be, your friend" line. That line didn't belong as these guys are close but recent friends. The only thing that pulled me out of the scene was the fact you could see Kirk's resurrection coming from a mile away. Disagree with Nimoy's appearance. Nimoy turned down Generations because he felt Spock was just there for the sake of being there and his appearance didn't service the story. That was exactly what his appearance in STID was. He really gave the viewer no new information and it was just an excuse to have him in the film. Since it was in the film I feel it should have taken place in private and not on the bridge for everyone to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
Pikes death really pulled at the heart strings for me, kudos to Bruce Greenwood, but why did Spock get all creepy with that mind meld.?Real Spock would have more respect than to violate him like that, especially since he was so serene and at terms with his mortality in the opening scene. It wasn't even to help Pike emotionally, it was just be voyeuristic in the extreme. It made me feel uneasy.
I sort of liked that scene. It's unclear if Spock said anything to him telepathically but Pike did seem pretty calm for someone who was dying. Perhaps Spock comforted him in some way so Pike wasn't alone. I'm 50/50 on it.

Quote:
I liked CB, I know people have issues with the change of race, but that wasn't it for me, I was just waiting for more, something I can't put my finger on. Khan just didn't seem to come through for me, and what an anti-climax!
I feel the same way. I think he was underutilized as they didn't really give him much to play with. He's a decent actor and it seems like they just told him "Stand there and talk like you're evil." It didn't surprise me in anyway that he was Khan as the rumors were flying around for almost a year but he really didn't need to be. They could have just made him any augment and avoided all the unanswered details of his origin which they tried to explain in one line of the film. Funny they got a 300 year old frozen guy to design the biggest weapon in Starfleet history. Also it was pretty lucky they managed to unfreeze only Khan and not the rest of his crew. Was there a big "KHAN IS HERE" sign above his cyrotube? Just realized, I'm assuming they launched the Botany Bay in 1996 from my previous knowledge of ST but since they didn't explain the events that took place I actually don't know. Was the ship even called the Botany Bay?

Quote:
Spock and Uhura's constant whinening and bickering. Leave it in the bedroom. Don't bring it to the bridge, and certainly not on an extremely dangerous away mission in the heartland of enemy territory.
I agree. It was extremely unprofessional of two senior officers.

Quote:
I really liked what they did with Scotty, he's far more serious in this, even if some is played for laughs. When he resigned, that really got me.
Again I agree. I didn't like his still useless (need to sell the kids another action figure) sidekick though. Why did he also resign when Scotty did and then Scotty left his butt on Earth when he went to find the Vengeance?

Quote:
Can't say the same for Bones though. He's just a narky old man now, with none of the charm and soul the original had. And a penchant for running blood tests through dead tribbles? 23rd century medicine is a bit more advanced than that.
They have reduced Bones to a catchphrase spewing cartoon character pretty much. Though Urban does a great job with it he is severely underused as a character.

Quote:
Interstellar transporters, why bother with starships any more?
Exactly. Just another example of these writers not thinking things threw. They just pretty much eliminated death in this last film.

Quote:
Carol Marcus got her kit off, as if that's supposed to be something good.
A pointless scene that at least Lindelof owned up to.