View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
My feeling there would be those sorts of criticisms often come from people who had decided to either strongly object to or outright hate the 'new' version of the show anyway and then were basically coming up with ever more pointless criticisms.

Not unlike those '100 reasons Abramstrek sucks' type lists that float around. When you set out to dislike a thing from the start..............people will eventually cling to anything in proclamation of it's percieved flaws.

Usually some have merit, some make you shrug your shoulders and go 'whatever'!

But I think getting bogged down in things like lasers is just missing any point the material has. The great enormous beauty of sci fi and all it's levels from hard sci fi to sci fi tinged with fantasy is that you can do it any way you want. You can go way the heck out there into the future with lasers and so what, or you can set it in very contemporary settings and it still is sci fi. Or a world that's just a little different than ours. From 'Star Wars' to 'Never Let Me Go' (a film that does not reveal itself as sci-fi for some time but ultimately is very much so when all is revealed).

A lot of that is whatever window dressing you want to use to dress up whatever story or theme you're telling.
Bingo!