View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

That was always a problem among the old school BSG fans as well.

"Reality?! Really?! Gritty, dark realism?! Battlestar Galactica is meant to be escapist! I watch Galactica to escape real-life, not relive it like the news!" Some would say.

In addition to reality, or realism, another of the mounting problems old school hardcores had was that the characters in the new Galactica series, and the settings seemed pretty much indistinguishable from contemporary humans and settings on Earth. "Suits and ties?! Humvees?! Really?! No one wearing robes, or otherworldly looking clothing?! These people might as well be from Earth. In no way do these people make me feel like they are our brothers from across the stars!"

"And why is so advanced a people (supposedly) not using energy weapons?! No laser weapons?! Why does everyone have to fire bullets!? They can have faster than light travel, but no lasers?!"

Ron Moore's intent was to make it a sort of allegory of 9/11. Old schoolers who hated the new show would retort that they had no problems relating with the characters of old, who had honor and hope, and flowing robes, instead of this nigh-dysfunctional society that wears suits and ties, and has bullet based weaponry, and in no way makes us think of otherworldly beings.

The arguments went on and on.

I once wrote a fanfiction called "Battlestar Galactica: Dark Exodus" which was a story of Galactica finding Earth, the Earth of 2039, which was just starting on the fringes of developing space based defenses. However, I am also someone who enjoys realism....and a few even hailed my work as being similar to that of Tom Clancy (high praise indeed, as Clancy is one of my favorite authors). But, the reason they could deal with the realism in my story is because I still kept the story in the vein of the original Glen A. Larson universe.

My latest (yet unfinished) work is "Galactica: The Last Battlestar", which is actually a melding of both the Glen Larson and Ron Moore Galactica universes, in such a way that it actually works. Characters like Starbuck, Boomer, and Cain are guys again. Characters like Valerii and Kara are their own persons. I gave a new naming convention to the story, since I always had a problem with "one name" names from the original series, that helps make distinctions among characters, but is compatible with the "one name" usage by making the "one name" element an informality in Colonial society. (Old schoolers had a problem with names like "Apollo" and "Starbuck" being call-signs, and not the names of old.) The ships of the Ron Moore era of Galactica were the old tech in my story. The classic Galactica (500 yahrens old in the original series) was actually the new "state of the art" battlestar in my tale. Amazingly enough, even the hardcores who hated just about everything of the new series, had a good time reading my story, because I helped them to clear hurdles they might not have had an easy time with had the story been entirely "new series" oriented. While my story contains many elements of the new series, it is largely in the spirit of the original Glen Larson universe.

And I think Ron Moore must have read my story too, because I've seen elements of my story in both the final episodes of the new series, and in Caprica, the short lived prequel series. (And I can tell you that my stories were in the works, and partially published online long before the final season of Galactica, or the airing of Caprica.) I ain't complaining though. Mine are simply fanfics, and if he wanted to use elements for his show, I, quite truthfully, am honored.