View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
"There were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn’t even want to be involved in the next version of those things." - JJA, trekmovie.com
Liar liar your pants are on fire.
Why am I not surprised that this "I am so committed to Trek" talk was always bullsh*t?

Abrams is a great director but a horrible moviemaker. Its all based on fairly primitive emotional manipulation, e.g. the vague post 9/11 fear stuff in Cloverfield and Star Trek or the fake "the monster is kind" idea of that E.T. copy. From another angle it is just an overplay of mysticism. Gee, I am a sucker for mystery movies but when mystery becomes omnipresent in your workand merges with an anti-enlightenment attitude it becomes reactionary garbage.
Back to Wars, as Abrams will not come along with his usual creative colleagues but just direct a movie which is written and produced by somebody else, as Wars will still be a Lucasfilms product with the emphasis being on Lucas, i.e. even though the master retreats it is dogmatically Lucasian (which reveals my European position, appreciating auteur cinema I favour absolute artistic power in the hands of one guy; Hitchcock was only good because he was dictator on the set), his influence will be limited.
So yeah, no news at all, the guy just directs the movie. You might notice his style via the lensflares or whatever but basically (or rather hopefully) it is just a technical and not a creative matter.