View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Actually, the Empire does commission female officers.
In Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, a video game which is considered canon in the SW universe, a female Imperial Officer is assigned to be Starkiller's pilot and aide.

In the novel "Death Star", there is a female admiral who rose through the ranks on her own merits, much to the chagrin of other male officers, especially of equivalent rank. She is also the love interest of Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin.

So, the Empire does indeed have female officers.....the only visible one was in the Force Unleashed game. We've not seen them in any movies, but one did appear in a game that was considered canon.
Lol - bless them for trying but seriously in the 21st century are sci-fi writers still writing in that men are intimidated by women in positions of power, that a woman has to be exceptional to reach a rank as good as a man, and that a female officer also has to be the love interest for a male superior...?

I will admit, I get a bit irked when historical dramas apply feminist ideals (the Game of Thrones tv adaptation just about hits the right balance for me) but sci fi writers are in a position to set the rules of the future and yet they seem to set the bar spectacularly low for women, quite often even lower than they are in the real world - lol.