View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Newtown, CT. Who to blame. I read an article for the Colorado shootings titled "Don't blame the shootings on Darwin (or on God's wrath)". I think the title alone still fits with this situation. It's becoming trend for Christians to do that very thing (especially on television).

The first implication targets the educators of the perp. It is the mantra "people are taught they come from animals, and that's why they act like animals." The implication is silly. Whether you believe it or not, evolution teaches that we evolved. You don't look at that and go, "Okay, I evolved from a animal, so I'm going to DE-evolve back, and act like one." And if you do say that, then your logic is backwards. Also, violent, torturous acts existed long before the theory of evolution came to be.

The second implication (if you can believe the audacity of it) targets the victims! It is that God let this happen because of the unrighteousness of the victims and those associated with them. It's a notion inspired by what often happens in the Bible: There is group of people, maybe a village. Something tragic happens to them. Those who survive such tragedy ask, "Why did this happen to us?" A priest or some man of God will answer (paraphrased), "Because you have forsaken the will of God." But such a claim is usually implicated in the Bible that God and said man of God is having a physically verbal interraction, so that the man can boldly say "thus saith the Lord" (or something of the like). But I don't know of anyone like that now who can make such a claim.

And tragedy cannot always be attributed to that same thing. We all know the mantra: "sometimes bad things happen to good people." But why? Do you know?

So how many times does Pat Robertson or Mike Huckabee need to display their own idiocy before the rest of Christians condemn them for putting words into God's mouth? Why did God let 9/11 happen? Why did God let Colorado happen? Why did God let Newtown happen? Was He punishing us for our sinful ways? Because of our allowance of gay rights? Because we're taking God out of schools? Who wants to answer those questions? I want to know what pastor or priest is having that Old Testament style conversation with God and can tell us what God is actually saying. Because anything short of that is blasphemy. Oh, yeah, I went there. Don't tell me what God's feelings are if you don't personally know what they are.

We don't know why it happened. I doubt you can blame the martyrdom of Saint Stephen on his Godlessness.

So who do you blame? As humans we are only obligated to take things at face value. The perp is the one who turned the gun on the innocent. Why? His reason dies with him, and God really only knows. Whether blaming it on the sin of the surviving or the ones responsible for the perpetrator's education or on supporters of gun ownership, there is this need to hold someone alive accountable.

Stop. Do the only thing you can do. Think about the families. Pray for them. Send them your cares and kind words of encouragement. That is all.