View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
Possibly. However it's easy to underestimate the possibilities of storytelling. The Wrath of Khan covers 'space seed' with just a couple lines of dialogue. And even a ST09-style flashback covering 'WNMHGB' wouldn't derail the film too much. We've always been allowed a liberal interpretation of what's canon, and people in general won't necessarily regard the current comics as any more canon than Countdown. In both cases, the comics are out there for whoever is curious. Many people still have motivational problems with Nero from the last movie, so it's not like such a multimedia crossover is necessarily advised. I don't get the impression either of us (at this point) thinks it's Nero anyway, so this is all hypothetical.
I just don't see it. I don't see them just glossing over the heart of the Mitchell story like that. People here put too much weight on those comics, the movies have to stand on their own two feet. And the last one did, Countdown was just a disposable marketing gimmick. Most people who saw the movie didn't even know it existed.