Thread: FEMA Corps
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Commander

I wasn't intending to cast unions negatively, and I admit that's due to me being very vague and I do believe that unions have an important function. It's just when I look at a business. I look at the business as just a machine through which money and goods/services flow. Unions get money from that machine through its members. Executives also get money from that machine. As a consumer, I look at both executives and unions as in positions to pass additional cost onto me. While I am much more inclined to want a greater portion of what I spend to go to the workers, but at the same time I don't consider that carte blanche for unions to do some of the things that they do. I'm supportive of the write to collective bargaining, but I also believe a person has a right to work. If a person doesn't want to join a union then that's fine with me. If they find they need services that a union can provide then I believe a union should be able charge that person for using those services.

I guess more specifically, I don't care for simple things not getting done because of union rules like mounting a TV on a classroom wall or in my dad's line of work in aerospace, we both take great exception to critical repairs or maintenance that are safety issues not getting done due to people taking advantage of union rules. Especially in my line of work, if the call comes in for search and rescue of a person in the water and we need to get a piece of gear working. If the union wants to sue me, that's fine. If we have someone on hand that can fix it then I'll have them do it rather than waiting on a civilian union technician. Fortunately where I am I don't have to worry about that. But I know that in the Department of Defense, more and more stuff is being done by civilian government workers and it hasn't been without problems. DoD is already comically notorious for being slow at getting things done.

Perhaps it's not so much a union issue, but more of the culture we have these days in the general population where statutes are being used to replace human judgement.

My dad has been a union member for as long as I can remember and I know he's looking at resigning. Of course the union will still have the power to withdraw dues from his paycheck. Currently the veteran engineers like himself are happy to keep their existing contract thar contains the medical benefits. The younger crowd is pushing for something like a 8% raise and are threatening a walkout. Now as far as the veterans and the local union are concernes if the younger folks want to walk out then they're on their own for being in breech of contract. However the boss of the larger nation wide group of unions is throwing his muscle around. For people like my dad who have been in the industry for nearly 40 years, many unions have degenerated to the point where it's no longer the democratic voice of the workers but the whim of a single powerful person. To him a lot of workers have given up their contol of thr unions to the bosses. Union dues intended for retirement funds have been used to fund politics and the paychecks of the union bosses. So between corporate executives and union bosses, the working person still gets screwed.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 12-08-2012 at 01:51 PM.