View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Good wealth of knowledge there, Sam. I stand corrected on the ALIEN theatrical re-release. I thought it seemed more recent than that, but I guess I thought '99 because it was the 20th anniversary of ALIEN. (I was in --whimper-- West Virginia at the time, and I should've been more wary of the time.)

It is good that Cameron gets such backing (or at least, has enough of his own capital) to finance a remaster/redux of his movies. Too bad other companies don't have that kind of vision and forethought. Star Trek TMP was a financial success, if not a critical one. It should've made complete sense to Paramount to give Rob Wise everything he needed to make the DC a big screen release, or at least, big screen release-ready.

Dune (1984, Universal). That film was not a financial success, but gets (without Fincher's approval or involvement) a restoration of footage. I loved the movie, and they could've made it a much better film if they properly backed both Fincher and the film for the process. Yeah, I was sorely disappointed that they used the paintings in the prologue to represent establishing shots of planets instead of sticking with the much superior theatrical effects shots for them. Why in the hell would they resort to that? The painting was fine for the prologue, but THAT's where it should've stayed. It felt like a real "middle finger" to David Fincher.

Also, at the time of the TMP Director's Cut release on DVD (and even VHS), DVD was the prime standard at the time, so everything for the film was apparently remastered to DVD resolution.....Blu-Ray probably wasn't even thought of at the time, or at least, was only on the drawing boards.

When the TMP DC was "screened" for TMP's cast and crew, it was done so, if I recall correctly, on a 100 inch, progressive scan TV. Apparently, they at least had a full Dolby set up in the room to make as close to the big screen experience as possible.

One would also figure that with all the capital Paramount made off its recent Star Trek theatrical movie, that Paramount would want to go back and make all of its older movies live up to the current medium's specs in their restored forms. Then again, film resolution and home video resolution are going up all the time, so Paramount probably doesn't see it as a viable investment.