View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Commander

I wasn't aware there were that many discrepancies, but yeah.

I find the editing in general to be very choppy. And the inserted footage to be of variable quality. Even on a bootleg imported VHS (with Japanese subtitles!) you could tell that the picture is much softer than for the rest of the film.

The wall mural was a neat idea, however its occasional re-use throughout the movie as a placeholder for special effects (establishing exterior shots of Giedi Prime, etc) received some criticism from people who thought they were viewing regular special effects from the movie.

What I find most annoying however is how the soundtrack was treated, with entire sequences of music often dialed out, replaced, reused (resulting in a lot of repetition), or even multiple cues clumsily laid down on top of each other. Not to mention the 'Prophecy Theme' (as it is titled on the album) being omitted entirely due to copyright.

Other annoyances:

Not really anybody's fault, but the movie basically exists in SD 4x3 video because of the 'mural' being shot at that resolution. The widescreen restoration on DVD shows these 'scenes' badly cropped.

Speaking of the DVD, the entire opening titles and prologue have bad audio synch by something like 5 seconds. I emailed Universal customer service about this, asking if they were aware of the problem. I expected a better response, because this was shortly after the whole Back to the Future DVD exchange program was instated due to widescreen framing issues (remember that?). They answered back that there were no known problems with the release. Apparently "Well you're being made aware of one now" wasn't good enough for them, as not enough other people had complained. I remember asking on message boards if anyone had noticed the problem, but it was clear they didn't (when the responses you get back say things like "It must be a problem with your TV" you know people aren't even stopping to listen). Guys. Come on. The narrator is introducing people after their faces have already disappeared off the screen. You don't find that fishy? At any rate, I never finished watching either version of the movie on my DVD because I was too disillusioned.

Seems to me there was already a Region 2 version of the movie with the extended version presented in its 4x3 TV broadcast ratio, however I never got around to picking it up. Maybe it's still in print. Or maybe I should forget the extended version and just upgrade to BluRay for the regular version.

Back to LOTR, I understand about people preferring the extended editions. Providing it's understood that they are just that. It is a little distressing how many viewers seem to regard the theatrical cuts as being some inferior 'abridged' version (for example when they were released to BluRay and instead everyone was wanting to know where the extended editions were), when that really is not the case. Even though it's really none of my business. I had a co-worker who was a total Harry Potter geek but hated the Rings films. Most boring twelve hrs of his life; couldn't see what the appeal was. He had marathoned all three films (in their extended editions) at a special theater screening event... an event specifically tailored to the very hardcore obsessive fans for whom the extended editions were created. If that was his introduction to the series, then I'm not surprised. It's none of my business if everyone can't have the same experience; I just happen to love these films.

Last edited by samwiseb : 11-17-2012 at 11:22 AM.