View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I

Yeah, I think at the end of the day the fantasy/SF genre is like everything else. Whether it LOTR or Star Trek (or whatever) it's either your cup of tea or it isn't and you can only dress it up either way from there.

To be honest, my normal rule is to prefer Extended versions/Director's Cut's/Special Editions over theatrical cuts because they get less burdened with what needs done to make the film work in a theatre setting. At home, I'm not limited by things like runtime and pacing so usually I like all that cut stuff going back in.

With very few exceptions anyway and none of them notable films probably.
I'm right with ya', Kevin. Anytime I can find extended cuts of my favorite movies, I'll jump on them. I still have not picked up the Ex Cuts for the LotR trilogy, but I do plan to....eventually.

I loved the LotR movies, but only saw them on video. Good, emotionally charged stories....and the King's coronation in RotK tears me up everytime because of one little line, as a result of all the events that led to the utterance thereof.

But they did not interest me enough at the time to catch them on the big screen....admittedly, a mistake. I can truly see how much of a bang these would have had on the cinema screen.

But I have extended or directors' cuts of many of my fave films: Dune (1984), Dune (Sci-Fi miniseries), Crimson Tide, Independence Day, StarGate, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Tombstone, Gladiator, The Patriot, the Lethal Weapon movies, all of the first four ALIEN movies, The Exorcist, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Star Trek TMP, Star Trek II, Star Trek VI, RoboCop...and probably many more that don't come quickly to me 'ead.