View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

If I may divert the thread back on topic for the briefest of moments, I'd like to say that I do not like this title. I don't mind it that much, but I have one issue with it.

Obviously, they are trying to play on the fact that "to trek" is in fact a verb and I believe this was almost said outright in an interview. I like this. This is good. However: "Star Trek" is a pairing of words to make a single noun. Thus rendering "Star Trek Into Darkness" a noun plus a supporting statement. (To separate the "Star" from the "Trek" there needs to be an article before "Star" - either "a" or "the". At the moment the "Star Trek" component is technically a single word.)

Another way of putting that would be along the lines of "Squirrel: Into Darkness".

Oops. It seems that they have opted for a colon film title but decided simply to skip the colon. This is bad.

Personally, I'd like to retitle this film as simply "Trek Into Darkness", which starts with a verb and is in the imperative. You see that title and it compels you to see it. It urges you. You must see it. You will trek into darkness.

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)