View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
But isn't Romney basically a guy like Bloomberg, a former businessman with liberal (liberal meaning liberal in the classical sense and not, as it is often used, as short form for left-liberal) views who implemented fairly centrist politics while he was governor? Isn't the discussion in the Republican party about Romney not having been a hardcore conservative who merely followed the party platform and pretended to care about abortion and all that stuff for the sake of the election basically correct?

I totally agree with you that social views change over time, that the US is becoming (even) more ethnically mixed and that representatives have to reflect those changes but I also think that one serious problem of our time is that we no more have conservatives and social democrats but right-liberals and left-liberals.
I think a good conservative should not just be liberal, have some economic competence and so on but also care about actual conservative values. This might imply a slightly antiquated view upon gender or race but it also implies caring about the conservation of families, nature and the well-being of the working class. McCain would be an example for such an old-school conservative.

About the word fiscal conservatism, first of all Econ 101 tells us that we, the entire world, has needed massive deficit spending during the Great Recession and second, sincere fiscal conservatives (the current Republicans pretend to care about public debt in order to rationalize tax cuts) like yourself have no influence at all upon the actual politics of the GOP:

I would say that Romney probably would have been a more moderate President than he was letting on. I think he got pulled further right than he normally is by the primaries. The American system can have that effect. I think he would have gone more to the center once in office.

But that was also his biggest problem, nobody really knows what he stood for, because he waffled so much and said just about anything he thought people wanted to hear. All politicians do that to one degree or another, but he takes it to a whole other level. He just wasn't a strong candidate in my opinion.

I really didn't like either of my choices going into this election.