View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
The BSG movie keeps getting side tracked because of larger profile productions that come down the pipe that suddenly get Bryan Singer's interest. Then B.S. goes off to do that project, and Galactica gets sidelined another couple of years. The hopes of doing a direct continuation with any of the original cast keep getting dimmer and dimmer, as many of them are now in their 60's (or older, except for Noah Hathaway, whom I believe is near, or just above 40), and today's younger crowd is not going to want to watch a movie filled with people they aren't familiar with.

The only hope of doing anything resembling the original series at this point is to do yet another reboot...in movie form.

My biggest fear is that Bryan Singer and Tom DeSanto will make this look like a fanboy-gasm movie. I think, in order for it to succeed in the format being proposed, a "Wrath of Khan" approach is needed. Get a director and screen writer who is not invested in a lifetime of Galactica lore.

I personally am not holding my breath for any Galactica movie.

Hard core old-schoolers are hoping for a movie that continues on the original series, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with the recent series. I am ambivalent. It could continue the original or the new series, and I'll be happy. But until then, until I see an actual trailer for it, it's a non-issue.
I've never heard before that they even were considering the original actors. Did anyone actually say that? This to me is new. I never got the impression they had enough of a treatment to be that specific.

I've only heard it was "based on the original series; not the Ron Moore reboot." Which could mean anything. The Ron Moore reboot was based on the original series. Sources get their semantics turned around and end up inarticulate because they're trying to be articulate (That this wasn't going to continue Ron Moore's version was always a given).

Glen Larson I know tried to propose a sequel/spin-off Battlestar Pegasus motion picture that would supposedly have been 'in continuity' with his original series. But he's a has-been TV producer who wouldn't understand how Hollywood works. And his plan didn't involve the original actors (prompting Richard Hatch to pitch Galactica himself, until I suspect the Moore team co-opted him just to shut him up).

Even if they weren't 60-year-olds, they're TV actors. Nobody brings them to the big screen unless you're Star Trek, The X-Files or Serenity. Even Star Trek probably couldn't tell you how they did it, other than history and pop culture seemed to be on their side when it happened. And they don't do it anymore. And Galactica isn't Star Trek. It would be like making The Undiscovered Country or Star Trek Nemesis if the films prior had never happened.

I would seriously hope they remake it, reboot it, whatever it, because otherwise I can't see that they were ever that realistic about it to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Same thing kept happening to the in-limbo "Logan's Run" remake...another Bryan Singer project...which he first left to do "Superman Returns" then went back to then left again.
Without having heard anything in a while (or checked to see when the most recent news was) I suspect this is another one of those.