View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Commander

Well the plans have changed over time. First it was going to be an adaptation movie and a 'bridge' movie, for a total of two films.

Then it was decided that there was enough material in the book itself (as a strait adaptation) to already fill two films (a-la Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows). So the plan was still two movies, but no 'bridge' film.

What's happened now is they've decided to make that 'bridge' film after all. Only the decision comes downstream of having already decided to split the main story into two movies.

The 'bridge' film deals with what Gandalf was doing during the second half of The Hobbit when he left Bilbo's party. The White Council, the Necromancer, and various tie-in details that exist in the appendices to The Lord of the Rings.

I have a couple reactions here.

I am skeptical as to whether Jackson can really fill three movies with this stuff. It seems like 'everybody' is trying to adapt novels into multiple films now. In addition to the last Harry Potter, the final Twilight and Hunger Games books are each being split into two movies.

It does seem like studios are starting to say "Wait a minute, if we're selling worms for five cents each, maybe we can make ten cents if we cut each worm in two... why didn't anybody think of that before? Small worms are sweater."

But on the other hand, it also gets aggravating to hear that be the common reaction whenever something like this is announced. Maybe because of the repetition factor.

And I don't want the scoffers to be right anyway, because I also happen to want a good Hunger Games: Mocking Jay movie. And I really want a good Hobbit movie.

(The Twilight: Breaking Dawn movies have my permission to go ahead and suck. I have nothing invested in them.)

I do think Peter Jackson and his team did an amazing job or researching/realizing The Lord of the Rings for the screen. I don't see how he's going to fill three movies out of The Hobbit, but maybe he's seeing something the rest of us are not.

I don't see it yet, but after all he did with the Rings trilogy I don't think he would do something like this just for the sake of doing it. I would think he has too much reverence for the material to simply make 'more movies' if he didn't firmly believe that he saw three movies.

Last edited by samwiseb : 09-26-2012 at 07:55 PM.