View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
The thing about H2 in space is that we can detect it where it's hot but not where it's not, while cold H1 is easy to detect and is considered the atmosphere of space, even though it's only one atom per cubic centimeter. There are probably at least five molecules of H2 per cubic centimeter of space, but we don't have the technology to detect that except where it's hot and probably won't for a long time. So not knowing how much is there, scientists simply leave that variable out of the calculations, which probably yields a wrong answer. I just don't like it when they go around preaching something derived in such a way and beating up on people that don't buy it. That's politics, not science, and I would expect this talk of a Big Bang to be something of a joke a hundred years from now.
You're right but there is a caveat.
Much of the theoretical science in the Standard Model and Quantum Mechanics...(Models that have multitudes of successful test) are based on our understanding of the Big Bang, or at least the understanding of it fits well in the those models. This includes the Higgs Boson. And Higgs especially is derived from the concept of the Big Bang.

I think there is something missing.
I too don't like the portrayal of want we know as definitive and absolute when there are still questions to be asked and solved.