View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Hi, guys,
Thanks for the discussion.

When I say: "I can understand both sides of the coin", allow me to clarify by saying that when I speak of understanding the students' position on this, (and perhaps I speak most naively ) I mean to say that I'm not sure how much they were aware of just what was going on.

In truth, something of this magnitude could not remain hidden forever, and some were likely to know. If that is the case, then indeed, I don't feel any empathy at all toward them (past or present). If the student body was even remotely involved in the cover ups...remaining silent for the name of the school...then I say to hell with 'em all.

But, if they did not know...well...I can also certainly see Saquist's point of view on this. Now they're acting and speaking selfishly. Oh, Gee, boo hoo...we have to lose all this clout. What will this do for our futures and careers in sports? What? Some kids were raped? Well, I'm sorry about that, but what about me?! What about MY future?! I'm a victim here too......boo hooooo.

Apparently, this is not the first time that Penn State has received hefty sanctions for misbehavior. If I read correctly, they had two years of sanctions levied against them for the selfish actions of Reggie Bush (appearently merchandising himself while in a student program).

But, the penalties leveled against them now, for criminal misconduct? Well...as has been said, hopefully it will send a strong message.
Bush was a the University of Southern California.
In comparison Penn state had a flawless ethical record till now.

That's what Paterno represented. That was the presitge of Penn State. Joe Pa always did what was right, He always was no frills, moral and ethical about the football program. No student athelette not passing would be allowed to play or passed just to get them on the field. How could he make such an outlandish mistake? Can we even call this a mistake. The more I learned the more woeful and willful the action especially across ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Meh, it's an empty symbolic gesture. The team won those games, the players won those games. It's meant to take down Paterno's records, but I just don't see it as a good punishment. I'm OK with the overall sanction package, I think it was necessary. The NCAA had no choice, they had to hit them hard.
There are many kinds of gestures. Hugs, pats on the backs, holding hand kisses and even tears.

Those victims are going to need ever-single-gesture in the book to find resolution in their lives and some of them never will. Some of them will struggle to define themselves separate from abuse and sense of abandoment.

If they need a hug-give it to them
If they need years of reflection-give it to them.
If they need a statue. Give it to them
If they need the monolith toppled-give it them.

Ultimately the cost has already been paid with their own childhood. It was taken against their will.

Further the NCAA wasn't targeting Joe Pa directly with the Sanctions. Those targeted Penn State University. It's their record that was sullied for the sake of preserving the programs glossy shiny image and it is perfectly logical to remove those wins that determined the University's High standing that occurred during the period of child abuse that occurred on campus and that was allowed by the Universities higher echelon, that was then swept under the rug. It's stupefying to have this much callous disregard for the well being of others. Institutions should be hit where they believe it matter when they put their own prominence as a priority. That goes for the Catholic church, JW's and For Universities like Penn state.