View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
Japan also seems to be more culturally homogenized. Where as here in the US I probably wouldn't be able to recognize a word coming from someone in Alabama as English. Believe me, I've met a few people from parts of the US who I know are speaking English, but the dialect is just so far out there that I might as well go back to my high school German class. Also lately (past few years), here in the US the amount and degree of conflicts between different parts of society have been increasing. I don't want to say it's a majority of Americans that are in conflict with each other, but there's a a very vocal and visible minority that is, more so than I personally recall ever seeing.
I totally agree, comparing a fairly homogeneous society with a multicultural immigration society one is problematic.
Another factor might be that some Asian societies are less liberal and more communitarian. Singapore is perhaps the best example, a country with virtually no crime (also little corruption / white collar crime) but also few civil liberties.
I know too little about contemporary Japan to judge whether pre-modern elements outweigh the Western elements in this society. Kurosawa's Stray Dog made this a bit of a topic via portraying a hero who represents the best of both worlds but gee, that's a movie from the fourties.