View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Metal detectors everywhere? Who wants to live like that? And cops at every public place is simply not possible. I'll take my chances. Let's not blow these incidents out of proportion. The US has a population of over 300 million. I don't have to worry about getting shot tonight if I go out. The odds just aren't there.

It's a tragedy, as it is anytime innocent people get hurt. It's not something to fear. I have a better chance of getting hit by a plane than I do of getting gunned down at the movies.
It's doable, but not likely sustainable. Especially in places where you have high traffic volume. That's kind of the big thing about trying to plan security. It's difficult to deploy assets to beef up security when you're lacking specific intel. 99.99% of the work in law enforcement or security is at most talking to people. Events like this make up way less than 1% and these are typically your worst case scenarios. If a person really wants to do harm, the best you can do is reduce their chances of success.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard