View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Exactly. The universe expands and what lies outside, what it is expanding into is completely beyond our comprehension. It's a question of existence. Existence is the universe and it is expanding and our 3 spatial dimensional minds perceive it is expanding into something but outside the universe there is not even anything, not even a void. There is no existence outside the perceivable universe.

A great and crazy question, Omega. Also Saq, some wonderful stuff you posted there.

To me, the whole question kinda reminds me of the end of the TNG episode 'Remember Me' where Crusher has been caught in a shrinking universe and everyone she knows is disappearing. At the end of the episode the known universe is collapsing in on the Enterprise and hull breaches are starting. You think of it as this bubble that's closing in on the ship and eventually will close in 'til there's nothing left, but when Crusher asks the ship computer the cause of the hull breaches, the computer responds that it's caused by flaws in the ship's design. It doesn't conceive of the ship that was there before the shrinking universe began to 'erase' portions of the ship from existence so it perceives the ship is built wrong. To me that touches on Omega's question. Outside the known universe there is not even a void or even 'nothing'. But some of the multiverse theories and quantum foam theories Saquist mentioned take a different angle on it.

It's crazy mind-boggling stuff. I'm still trying to get past that the behavior and state of matter on a subatomic level is defined by our perception of it. That's crazy, but true.
I've been looking into this too, Livingston.
Over the weeks I've been seeing some incredible perceptions by physicist from Einstien, Guth, Hawking and others. There really might be a Unifying Force or equation forumula for why what we observe on the BIG Scale doesn't compute to the small scale. It may all be explained by the multiverse.

I personally am beginning to think that the multiverse is a construct of inter-phased dimensions that String Theory uses. I've noticed that Boze-Einstien Condensates (the Fifth Phase of Matter) move in linked quantities. They become frictionless the more HEAT you take out of them. (The more energy). They move and behave as one.

In quantas of matter (on the quantum level) particles can be in multiple places AT ONCE...untill you look for it and then it's forced to be in one location. I'm beginning to think that when we look at this level of space we're LITERALLY seeing into other dimensions wrapped around our own. And because we're in this dimension we SEE the particle that corresponds where the particle SHOULD be in reference to this dimension.

I think THAT is the combination of Both General /Quantum Relativity. In other words depending on your DIMENSION you will see the particles at a certain location at a certain spin. It's sort of profound. We maybe seeing other dimensions ALREADY. Reducing the energy of gases such as Bose-Einstein Condensates my be influences particles to interact with each other on a multi dimensional level....Like a larger scale quantum entanglement.