View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

I empathize with ya' on so many points, Saquist...especially the agenda pushing. I stopped watching Cawley's Trek after Blood and Fire...I just couldn't watch. While I can certainly appreciate the likely intent of the content....to continue pushing/edging around things that Trek shoulda had the balls to do in the first place, now they're just grandstanding. It's like with music. Now, the ubiquitous, black and white "PARENTAL ADVISORY: EXPLICIT LYRICS" stamp is a badge of honor for those who like to use vulgarity in their "music", and an attract feature for those gullible enough to think that they're getting a quality product.

But on the points of acting, and effects, and camera angles/movements, etc....well...again, these are "fan films". They do it for the love of the show. Acting and filmmaking classes might be a bit out of their time and budget. One has to remember, these folks are not pros...and likely not inclined to be, but they do the best they can with what they have. All they're really out to do is tell a story with the tools available to them.

It's like when I do my animations. They certainly are far from Pixar, and there are FAR better amateur CG artists out there, with even better tools and training. I just do it for the love of the art. I endeavor to do the best I can with each shot, and if I see a means to improve a shot, I will certainly do it...but, I can only do so much with what I have. The secret (as has been said many times throughout the span of the Trek series since TNG) is to make it look like you have more to work with than you really do.