View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
In the reality of the situation the Kelvin faced, there was no time for emboldening speeches...by either Robau or Kirk. The most motivation Robau could provide was to Kirk on the way to the turbolift, and then at that, they were standing orders. Robau didn't know what they were about to face...how can you embolden someone against the unknown, especially when the unknown is clearly superior in tech and warfare to your own ship in every possible way? All you can do is give standing orders at that point. There was no help anywhere nearby, and none on the way. Robau knew it, and there was no sense in hiding that fact from his first officer, who naively thought otherwise until rebuked by Robau. At least Robau does not lie to his officers.

There was some time for a brief inspirational speech by Pike just before they left spacedock. "The maiden voyage of the Enterprise deserves more pomp and circumstance than we can afford right now. Her christening will just have to be a reward for our safe return."

And then by Kirk himself:
"Either they're going down, or we are."

Short, simple, and sweet.

I think the best inspirational speech I EVER heard was in StarGate SG-1, by O'Neill. "Anything inspirational you guys may have heard in your lives...now might be a good time to remember 'em."

The second best would be (and yes, this largely was a speech to embolden the good guys against the technologically superior unknown) from Independence Day, by the President.

And then, there's MY emboldening speech, which works for known and unknown situations:

"Anything I might say at this point can be taken with a grain of salt, or regarded as a load of hot air. I ain't gonna lie to you guys....we're probably gonna die. So until we win this thing, just disregard everything I've said at this point! Let's get out there and win this thing! If we do win....y'all can buy me a round! If we don't, well, you can get me in the afterlife!"

There was fifteen minutes. A small "speech" as you and Kevin say is the least you could expect from a officer and commander to his bridge. They knew they're enemy was superior and what he looked like. It wasn't unknown. I don't know how you made that assessment. I offered a few words and you two practically thew up. Why?

Yes...I know the Speech from Independence Day. I thought it was too corny to put on this list.

In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind. That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution… but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

Rhyming in a speech is more for humor than bravado.
The cliche of July 4 makes it worse. It turns it into a sensationalistic moment instead of a fortifying moment. Not bad just cliche'.

----
You agreed with Kevin that my "speech doesn't make the scene credible. A Captain abandons his post and hands himself over to the enemy to be executed. Without it the scene is incredible...beyond belief. Kevin doesn't explain why.

Kevin then says he doesn't appreciate such expressions in dialogue. Calling them silly and clunky. I can't imagine why he would regard motivational speech to silly or clunky as though if there were going to be a speech it must therefore be "silly" and "clunky." As humans our emotions and fear can take hold and stop us from acting...words have power and can effect change. I've always known that to be true. But you don't agree?

Further: You assume the position of the "speech" is in the rather coveted musical montage scene. In fact it's not. Martok, yours and Kevin's unanimous objections seems more like devotion than reasoning on what's needed logically and artistically.--

-----
There was something you said about being flawed.
It occurred to me that the error of the Kirk scene is that he isn't Captain. There is no reason why he shouldn't be Captain. It simplifies the scene and removes the need of the obtrusive and unrealistic Lamb Sacrifice by the current Kelvin Commander.

The Commander of the Kelvin is made to be absolutely impotent. Not by the enemy but by the useless waste of sacrificing himself without a fight. No self respecting military officer would make that choice. Plain and simple. I have enough Navy friends to prove that true. Heck if that isn't satisfactory ask AkulaSSN here on the board. And it's done just to make Kirk look the Hero.

This is one of those places that needs a middle ground because how it stands is too stupid to believe. This man is going to kill you but you do absolutely nothing to save your life and stall for more time for your family?