View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
There's absolutely no context to it.
Yes there is. Comrade Chekov is about the interrogate the little girl and ask her some important questions about the behaviour of her parents. It turns out that they have indeed conducted business with the imperialist capitalists with the big ears. Comrade Scot orders immediate transfer of the prisoners to a gulag transport, we fade out, music sounds and the words Star Trek appear on the screen.
Seriously, I didn't need any context to determine that robocop on a bike does not belong into a Trek movie and I do not need any context now to determine that a uniform which looks Soviet and militaristic is inappropriate for Trek. I also do not need any context to know beforehand that this will neither be a satirical flick like Starship Troopers nor a dialectical piece like the Meyer movies (i.e. their very militarism caused its opposite). It will just be there, basically without any context, and among many other tiny little things create this uneasy feeling that this is somehow not the Starfleet we are used to anymore.