View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Your question is as stupid as asking why Enterprise Incident is compared with Balance of Terror or why Ledger's Joker is compared with Nicholson's. When there are two stories that involve the same aliens/characters the latter one will naturally be compared with the former one.
Which characters? Klingons? They're in every tenth episode and almost every other movie. Augments? I seriously doubt most people in the audience, including casual fans, will have even gotten the memo that we're suddenly 'supposed' to be calling Khan an 'Augment' now. A lot of regular fans who had already written off ENT might not even care.
Quote:
Perhaps not by someone like you but by people who have a more balanced view upon the franchise and actually care about good stories instead of lensflares, monsters, Tattoomulans and fast cuts. If you didn't notice all the fanwank in STXI you might wanna watch it again. Inside jokes all over the place, Nimoy, Orions, Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans, gee, it's a fanboy's wet dream.
'Someone like me'. I'm actually fully confident I could bet my balanced vie against yours four out of seven days of the week. Nimoy (aka "Doctor" Spock), Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans and 'green girls' (I very specifically did not say Orions) are not 'fanwank'. They are the polar opposite in fact. They are the things that 'everyone' already knows about ST in passing. And that is why they are in the movie.

Quote:
Unlike ENT's fourth season which actually told stories about Vulcans, Orions and Romulans in which these familiar aliens sometimes appeared in a fresh light STXI just put them in for the sake of it.
This part is entirely subjective. The movie presented a previously untold story about the characters most commonly associated with ST. Whereas (to me) the stories I've seen from ENT S4 feel contrived in quite frankly the same way that a lot of the ST paperbacks I no longer read were.
Quote:
Hard to tell whether it was Orci's fandom gone wild or a marketing guy whispering in his ears how to satisfy the fans with such a simple trick.
I think it was a practical understanding of what ingredients of ST a non-fan might find familiar enough in passing to seem inclusive to him. But of course a lot of hardcore fans are too detail-obsessive to have an intuitive ability to look at ST from a distance. Or to care as much about aesthetics and music as they do about continuity.

Last edited by samwiseb : 05-15-2012 at 10:08 AM.