View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I guess with his looks he would seem most open to Khan....................but it could be another character.

I dunno, somedays I have to think of the whole Khan thing from the other angle of (even though I'm sorta against it myself) why not? I mean, the Nolan Batman films have reused major characters and villains from all the films that have been seen before (Harvey Dent, The Joker, Catwoman etc) more than once in some cases. Various incarnations of Superman have reused Lex Luthor (as did the TV series) and now the upcoming Superman film will reuse General Zod again. All versions of Sherlock Holmes end up using Moriarty as well. They don't all get used exactly as they have in earlier uses, but they still get used. Because they are highly associated with the main characters of each respective character.

All to varying degrees.

Some days I do have to step back and wonder whether 'banning' the use of a character in a reboot makes any sense. If I'm gonna be fine with Klingons, what's the deal with Khan. I suppose that could be extended to concepts like TT as well. Putting their own spin on Khan may fail hugely..............or it might work depending on how they reinvent him for the film. If he's in it.

I'm mentally rambling - ignore.
I don't think that there should be any taboos and why not go for the real thing after NEM and ST09?

I see two problems with Khan. First, TWOK is the benchmark, i.e. any movie involving Khan will be automatically compared with TWOK. Second, Khan's story is of a closed nature.
In contrast there are e.g. the Klingons Omegaman mentioned, all come-and-go characters with open-ended story-telling possibilities.

Of course this does not have to be a problem if they rewrite the story like in the case of Pike, if the first contact between Kirk and Khan runs differently or if somebody else discoveres the Botany Bay. I nonethless think that choosing a TOS character who is not part of a story already told until the end might be a better choice. All the thrill of Space Seed would be gone, you'd know that Khan is the baddie.

What I always enjoyed was Trek inspired by Khan and the eugenic background, the truthfulness to ideas instead of characters.