View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It's not worthless but it depends on what you're in the mood for on a given day. Which I know I never can predict.

If I watch something with said simplicity (like some Star Trek, say) it's often a fleeting flash of comfort. It's a momentary...........'that would be nice...........now where's something that has a whiff of reality about it'. That's not to devalue it, but it depends what day it is I'm watching. The irony is that you can get more depth and meaning out of something that isn't reliant on idealised versions.

Nu-BSG hit home precisely because it was a reflection of us today...........not because it showed an idealised construct of the future that anyone can create if they want to. It was often as bleak as hell because of that, but yet found great moments within it also.
We have talked often enough about the merits of DS9 so I doubt that we are really that far apart. I guess my main point would be the old essentialistic one: utopian, dystopian, realistic sci-fi, anything goes but once you made a choice you gotta stick with it.
Just imagine an uplifiting speech in Bladerunner or 1984, it doesn't work. Gladly Trek is more flexible and I am the last one who has an issue with Trek's darkest hours, e.g. Archer torturing somebody or Sisko letting Garak kill a bunch of folks ... as long as the characters don't revel in the nasty things they (have to) do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Oh God, oh God....................... I can't stand that movie. I want you to go to bed tonight and think very carefully about what you did making me watch that.
On the charges of mild sadism I please guilty but please have mercy on my butt and don't send me into the gulag, reeducation camp suffices.
Talking about gulags, what about you having an issue with all the funny black dudes?