View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post

-First, that the most commonly-familiar aspects of ST (particularly TOS) are going to get pushed to the forefront. Last movie, the Orion Slave Girl decided to leave her job and make an honest living going to college (er... the academy), seemingly just so the movie could show her making out with Kirk. After all, 'everyone' knows Kirk had a green woman in the original series.

Now. 'Amok Time' is another one of those classic episodes that 'almost' everyone probably knows about to some degree. How long do you suppose the writers will resist bringing T'Pring into one of these movies? With the explanation that she was off-world at the time Vulcan went kaput?

In doing so, you achieve some obvious results that are nonetheless dramatically 'truthful' with ST characters and canon. You 'heat up' the Uhura/Spock triangle (don't look at me like that, I'm just making observations here). And you provide a 'passive' antagonist who can seduce/guilt-trip Spock into reconsidering his obligations to country vs the Enterprise/Starfleet (especially if he already takes a lot of flak from fellow Vulcans who have had to make greater personal sacrifices for Vulcan society in the wake of what happened).

And a storyline dealing with the aftermath of the Vulcan diaspora, and possibly a renegade faction of Vulcan causing problems for the Federation, would seem to provide JJ and company with the perfect excuse for working such personal elements into their story. Again, from a purely observational point of view.
I agree 100%. It's a logical progression (no pun intended - seriously) and it ticks many of the boxes I would expect them to tick for the reasons you have outlined. It also allows for the possible return of Ben Kingsley. There was also a rumour a while back about an unnamed actress who had screentested for Vulcan ears or something. I'll be disappointed if T'Pau doesn't get a look in this time though - I'm fed up of all the women being girlfriends or mothers.

It's harder to know what the A-plot will be but my money is probably on some kind of disaster. This could allow a science character like Carol Marcus to be brought in (yes I know I'm fed up of girlfriends but Carol is great) but it could also allow cameos from a character like Harry Mudd - my money is probably on a drunken Scotty/Harry scene, although I'm rather partial to Harry being a 'legitimate' salvage operator who recovers a certain, seemingly derelict, ship in the closing credits...