Thread: Harry Potter
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
PG-13 (PG-12) is really the new PG nowadays.

When there was no buffer between PG and R (back before 1984), PG used to be able to encompass some pretty heavy content. But now, the shift has gone something like this:

PG = Upper level G
PG-13 = PG

Look at a movie like "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Back in 1981, that movie was rated PG, and it had some pretty graphic content and language. I can guarantee that if that movie were made today with the exact same production values, it would've gotten a PG-13. Same thing with Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Thus far, the PG-13 Harry Potter movies have not been that bad in terms of content that might be too intense for young'n's. Then again, I don't have any kids, so I'm going strictly off the notion that not much fazes me in a movie.
My kids are 6 and 4 and they have both seen all the Harry Potter movies. The last one was a bit on the scary side. But nothing they couldn't handle. Belive me, they are really awesome. They've watched all three Mummy movies and they laugh through most of them. So I'm not too worried about them seeing another HP movie.