View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I agree.
First and foremost, FP introduced a lot of now heavily used sci-fi concepts (hyperdrives and such), and a film remake would be completely wasted. FP was a pioneer film for science fiction. The CGI and such might be good in a remake, but the overall story and impact I think would be lost...especially from a historical standpoint.

Folks who had never seen the original FP would look at this new film, and likely consider it a rip-off of everything that had come before for them in recent memory.
Well said. I don't understand why anyone would want to remake FP in the first place. Like I said, it's just a case of Hollywood running out of new ideas and randomly picking old movies to "update" for a modern audience. The problem is, as you said, FP was a pioneering achievement in the sci-fi genre. The effects were on par with 2001 even though it was made 12 years earlier. And the ideas and themes from FP wouldn't translate intact for a modern audience. Now, if they remade it line-for-line and scene-for-scene like they did with Psycho a few years back, I'd probably give it a shot. But if they were to do a STXI-style remake, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 meter cattle prod. I'll be perfectly content watching my FP on DVD in the comfort of my own home.