Thread: iNcEpTiOn
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 06:31 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I admired Inception and it's intentions, however it's not a film I'm ever going to 'love'. As mind-twisters go it's ok but not really as grandly original as I was lead to believe going in. Unfortunately I think Nolan has been so busy working on the mind-twister side of the story that he's been sitting on that he forgot to craft characters that I (and others going by some of the reviews I've read) could actually care about.

Which is not to say I didn't like it - it gets the brain gears moving, it invites discussion and it will for years to come. That's hardly ever a bad thing. And I'll go and see it again soon to see what happens on reviewing it with knowledge of the whole thing.

The upshot being that (no spoilers - but much of the discussion subsequent to people viewing the film is around the meaning (or meanings) of the whole film implied by the final scene) when I don't have a good reason to actually care which of the main options it might be the film has failed.

Now, I know already that I'm going to be in the minority on this movie because I shall be in the side of appreciating it technically but not thinking it's actually quite as good as the majority will claim it is - or rather, are already claiming it is on the wider web amongst reviewers both professional and armchair.

The Matrix comparison is probably not entirely unfounded - but then again, I think The Matrix movies suck and have done since 1999 so.........
Well, I agree with you on the lack of character development but I've got to say I totally disagree on you about the Matrix. That is one of my favorite film series and I believe a great deal was taken from that film, along with Nolan's previous movie Memento. There is a little bit of everything in this film. I will have to see it again in order to fully understand it, but I will certainty see it again when time permits.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable