View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnJjY...team%20trailer

Trailer 2 looks great, I loved the show as a kid and if there's one 80s TV to movie revival that I really don't want to have suck it's this one!

Cast looks good and seems to work well, action looks suitably OTT and I'm really hoping it doesn't all go pear-shaped when it comes out!
You've convinced me, Kevin. I never saw the show, but I've been bombarded by this trailer at every Kick-@$$ screening I've caught. And I actually really like the trailer, but my reaction has always been "it's another movie based some 'popular' TV show that 'nobody' I know ever actually watched." Except now, I can no longer say that.

The law about TV-based movies tending to 'suck' notwithstanding (and let's be honest now, how many of our beloved Star Trek movies actually 'don't suck' from an objective non-fan standpoint? Like, four? Including the new one?), it's actually my belief that once you have a sucky movie, it's really hard to make a halfway decent trailer out of it.

There are exceptions... for example some talented editor was able to find all the right moments in the last Indiana Jones movie ("put your hands down, you're embarrassing us"). They were also dealing with a brand name, so the trailer did not have to present any kind of story. But Terminator Salvation proved to be every bit as boring as the trailer. And I can't even stay focused partway through The Expendables trailer I've seen almost a half dozen times now.

So while part of me is thinking "great, can the Airwolf movie be far behind... why not CHiPs or TJ Hooker for that matter"... I'm also suddenly wondering if maybe there's something to this series after all. Sure, the flying tank is OTT. As you've pointed out, it's supposed to be. But the trailer is alive enough to hold my amusement for two minutes. The Dukes of Hazard trailer certainly didn't do that (although it somehow excited the rest of the theater audience).

As a non-fan? I might actually see this.

Last edited by samwiseb : 05-31-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Apparently Kick-@$$ is censored. Come on people, it's the name of a movie now.