View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius1964 View Post
I seem to remember however a scene in which Troi told Riker that Jellicoe was not the confident captain that he projected to everyone, that he was consumed by doubt (not her words, probably).
The interesting thing I've always felt about that is that in the later episode 'Attached' Crusher (via her mind-link him) that Picard doesn't always know if he's doing the right thing either.

But that is of course not the kind of image that a Captain needs to project and so they have to always convey the image they are in full control.

Perhaps Jellico was simply less effective at hiding this part of himself and it showed in his more bullish shipboard policies than Picard, who may have had the same doubts from time to time but was able to collaborate with his crew more effectively.

Quote:
So I see Jellicoe as someone who feels he's in over his head, and needs to have everything go his way, as a way of keeping control of the situation. This kind of captain would probably have changed the Enterprise from 3 watch to 4 watch, instead of from 4 watch to 3 watch, just to make the point that he's in command.
I think that it might be less in over his head - in theory his past encounters with the Cardassians were what led Starfleet to put him on the Enterprise in the first place, so he shouldn't be over his head.

But I do think he was making these changes to stamp his own authority on the Enterprise, and that he had a much more dictatorial method that invited less input from his staff and more 'just follow my orders' and nothing further.

Quote:
If I were in command of a military unit (or even quasi-military unit) where sometimes lives depend on decisions, I'd want my XO to point out flaws in my plans, possible bad results of my decisions, etc. Which Riker does, but which Jellicoe, especially on first taking command, can't tolerate. If Riker had busted his butt to get everything switched over, he might have earned Jellicoe's trust and been able to trade on that later with a "But, Captain, have you considered..."

Bottom line, Riker and Jellicoe were both too stubborn.
I agree - Jellico was too bullish but Riker acted a little like a favoured child suddenly given the cold shoulder and the first time he doesn't get the glowing approval of his commanding officer (which he's been very used to) he goes in a huff about it.

Neither acted entirely professionally.

courtesy of Saquist