View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
The problems of Rome are obvious and one cannot deny a potential connection between celibacy, sexual neuroses and sexual abuse ... but they hardly justify general Catholic bashing.
However I don't think there is any direct, causal connection between celibacy and child abuse. Monks e.g. live in celibacy and you barely hear any scandals from them.
And there are a lot of single men who don't have anyone besides themselves (unwillingly living in a small "celibacy") and though don't start raping women. Sexual abuse often goes further than just satisfying your sexual drive, sometimes that's even just a side effect, sexual abuse is more about violence and power.

However there is an indirect connections. Of course where celibacy is normal it is a good place to hide for all those who have no good answer on "You still haven't found a wife?"
And places like residential schoos, churchly or not, are a good place for these people to easily come close to children without being watched.

Quote:
Jesus would never condone this "silly my church is better than your church" or "my religion is better than your religion" stuff.
"For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

I don't think he would say a lot of good things about organized religion at all.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 04-07-2010 at 08:56 AM.