View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Okay so the Federation had to exist right?
Because if there is a treaty then it must be with the organization that existed at the time...
The Romulan War as well as the foundation of the Federation has been set in the middle of the 22nd century, but it is just vague background info of a few episodes.

Quote:
But yes...they had to have warp speed...but not necessarily warp drive. Clearly the Romulans didn't have it because they still don't have it in Balance of Terror.
Thanks, I didn't know that. But it makes perfect sense, on the map in Balance of Terror the neutral zone is fairly close to Romulus. Perhaps because humans took a good piece of Romulan space after the war? Perhaps that's why the Romulans consider the defeat as such a humiliation, they have not merely lost the war but also a good piece of territory?

Quote:
So the treaty is with Earth..
So for you who fought the war Earth against Romulus or the Four races vs Romulus?
In my opinion this is one of the most important questions. If humans fought alone, why is the UFP created after the war? If they fight together with the other three races, why is it called Earth-Romulan War?
If I may speculate, perhaps the Romulans attacked humankind but made it look like the humans struck first, * la Gulf of Tonkin. Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites ended whatever alliance existed with humankind, humans had to fight on their own, the war was devastating, Romulan victory is imminent ... and when the three races learn the truth about the Romulan sneak attack, they help the humans and drive the Romulans back to where they came from.

Quote:
So...scarcity of antimatter for instance and the relevance of Hydrogen and Deuterium?

So that means that the advanced ships were either destroyed at the outset like Columbia and Enterprise or rendered inoperable by the lack of said resources?
Yep, that's what I would say. Antimatter is synthesized and there has to be an energy loss in the process. So using fusion power might be the better choice in war times.