View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
"Jumping the shark" means that they've run out of ideas, done something really stupid, and there's no turning back--it's pretty much all over but the cancellation. The term is taken from the Happy Days episode where Fonzie literally jumped a shark on water skis. Although the series continued for several years, it was never the same. It had crossed the line into complete absurdity: the point of no return.

I don't know what season it was, but the VOY episode that had Janeway, Tuvok, Torres "partially assimilated" then "un-assimilated" was a shark jump if I've ever seen one.
Thanks for that bit of history mmoore, i did wonder where the term came from, and what it really signified. I guess, i does mean a moment, that was a turning point downhill. I guess what i really wanted to know was during which season people felt the show started going downhill in terms of quality and from which it never reached the heights it had previously. For me, TNG's last really good episode was 'Descent, part II,' the first episode of season seven, but which was actually filmed in season six. So, Season six was TNG's high point, season seven was downhill. And ENT's last really good episode for me was 'The Expanse.' The Expanse was a really good premise, but how it unfolded was silly. So, ENT's height was season 2, and season three the series went downhill. For DS9, and VOY, i have less of a sense because i never watched either series consistently through to the end.

Last edited by chator : 02-09-2010 at 07:59 AM.