View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
I do not really regard each series as being separate, so I cannot speak strictly for VOYAGER, since I view it as merely one part of a single huge series that aired for 40 years straight. So I must say that VOYAGER suffered from having been released after Star Trek AS A WHOLE jumped the shark, which I would say started with the first season of Deep Space Nine. Star Trek on TV was all downhill from roughly 1994-2005. After TNG went off the air, I concentrated on the movies, which even still sucked with the sole exception of FIRST CONTACT. And while I loved Enterprise, it was a massive failure. This new STAR TREK movie is the highest point that Star Trek as a whole has reached since TNG went off air.

Back on topic, though, VOYAGER, like Enterprise after it, suffered from being released during the wake left behind from Deep Space Nine. For that, I find it blameless.
Is an interesting idea that Star Trek in general jumped the shark when VOY came on the air, I agree pretty much with what you've said, it never reached the popularity it enjoyed after TNG ended that it did whilst it was still running and the films, with the exception of FC were a disappointment. Saying that though, I thought DS9 was a great show bringing out many different stories types and being generally a lot more original and gripping than VOY ever was.

I'd say one of Voyagers big disadvantages from the onset was running along side DS9 for most of its run and having so much recent Star Trek behind it bogging it down. I think that by the end of the millennium the world had been saturated by too much Star Trek, so in that sense, not strictly Voyagers fault, just audience fatigue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie
The first time was after the great pilot episode. The pilot was, IMO, the best of all the Trek first episodes. Then it jumped the shark right into a pool of blandness. Part of the idea was there could be conflict between the Starfleet and Marquis characters but they seemed to all too quickly become a lovey-dovey crew. the most science fictional characters was Kes. But they copped out and never followed through with the great concept of a humanoid who's full lifespan is seven years. The showmakers didn't allow her to be much more than bland then they jumped the shark again and got rid of her because she was....bland!
Yeah the pilot was great, but then in the first season, that's pretty much it, everything else was bland and unimaginative, the only episode that sticks out for me is Eye of the Needle, and that resorts to falling back on an already established alien species. Voyager all too often fell back on tried and tested star trek themes and plot devices, many episodes you could cut and paste straight onto TNG, where the episode would probably have been better due to caring more about the characters. Kes was definitely a wasted character and the Marquis were wasted too... massive shame really.

Just to clarify though, I do like Voyager despite my criticisms here, I think it had shaky beginnings like all the other shows, peaked in seasons 4 and 5 then sadly dropped again, similar pattern to TNG really, just never peaking as high.