View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Well, at least they have enough space for some toilets on deck 1 now.

Seriously, one the one hand I miss the compact old school designs, be it bridge or engineering, on the other hand it makes sense to have more than a just a bunch of people on the bridge plus some extra rooms on deck 1.
Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with there being more than one room on deck 1. I just have a problem with the way the movie depicted the iBridge deck as being frakkin enormous. Having the bridge, observation lounge, ready room, and maybe a couple of bathrooms on deck 1 is not a bad idea. But sick bay, transporter rooms, brewery, etc. all on the same deck with the bridge? To me that's just overkill. But when you think about it, having all those rooms on the same deck sort of makes sense in context with the rest of the movie. Think about it. The shuttle bay and Titanic boiler room/water treatment plant/brewery were absolutely huge. It looked like those two sections took up most if not all of the secondary hull. If the ship is indeed as large as speculated, then the rest of the saucer section below the iBridge deck would have to house nothing but crew quarters. So, basically, they have not only reimagined the whole philosophy and history of Star Trek, but also the starship design style and phylosophy as well.