View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finarvyn View Post
I have a simiar experience to the OP's. My daughter (age 14) has had zero interest in Star Trek of any kind in the past, but really enjoyed the new movie. In fact, she "made" me take her back to see it two more times!

I think it's the "hip Uhura" in the miniskirt that grabbed her at first, but she said she just loved the whole thing (except for the first 12 minutes or so which made her cry). Not only did she love the movie, but she bought it for me at Christmas and had the whole family sit and watch it with her. Another few times. :-)

I'm not sure she'll ever be interested in watching my old TOS DVD's, but she's hooked on Star Trek now!
Cute! It's nice to know that the entire scene leading up to and including Kirk's birth has made non-fans cry. I mean, to me and a lot of other Trekkies that particular scene was so very powerful and its significance so huge that it was easy to get totally emotional about it and cry like a baby (no pun intended). But since I can't put myself in the shoes of a non-fan, I had always been wondering how someone outside of the fandom would react to it...