View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
]I honestly hope that when I die there is something on the other side but like Bill Maher in Religulous I'm ok with saying I don't know what happens when you die. I think it's far better then making claims that you do.
People may make claims of what they believe happens when they die, it is not fact. It is belief and that is where this whole circular argument has brought us to. We don't know. We can't know. But when a scientist writes a book to say that religion is all rubbish then he'd better have proof of God's non-existence or he is just the same as the rest of us. he has no special knowledge. Sadly the problem I feel with Dawkins is not his opinion, his poorly argued points, or his book title but the fact that lay people will think that because he is a scientist he has the answer and frankly, he doesn't. That's what really disturbs me. The fact that he uses science to argue that God does not exist. It's like trying to use a map of China to explain the history of the American Civil war. He is using the wrong tools.

I believe in gravity, evolution and the Big Bang and so does Dawkins. We simply differ in our views on what is the force behind those things. He may think it is a delusion but for billions of people, God is very real and very personal.

I teach Religious Education in a high school in Scotland and I have my own faith. I am required to teach all the major religions, humanism, morality and philosophy. I don't believe/ agree with everything I teach but I try to be as unbiased as possible. I have even found some very interesting points made by other religions. I think that the Buddhist 4 Noble Truths have hit the nail on the head. I think the Sikh view of hospitality and the langar meal at the end of their services is perfect. I don;t truly understand why we can't have more sensible interfaith dialogue and dialogue between those of different faiths and none. Unfortunately books like Dawkins book seek to divide rather than bring people together.

It's been fun to discuss this with you EC but I was beginning to take it personally which I know was never your intention and it was not personal in anyway. Once things start to become (or at least feel) personal then rationality goes out of the window. The problem with faith is that it is personal and it's not really something that should be scientifically analysed.

That's just my humble view of course

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"