View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
[color=black][color=silver]You're going in circles. Dawkins isn't claiming people who believe in God are delusional he is stating for the sake of debate that a belief in God is a delusion and here is why. Like I said before in a debate you need to take a stance. If Dawkins says a belief in God maybe a delusion, I can say maybe it isn't and that's the end of the debate. If you read past the preface of the book and get in to the "here is why" you may find that Dawkins makes some reasonable arguments. Dawkins reasoning comes from his knowledge of science as well as other things. Dawkins doesn't end the book with the conclusion that he is 100% percent certain a belief in God is a delusion therefore God is a delusion as you and janeway72 assume he does, it's up to the reader to come to their own conclusion. I wouldn't put Dawkins on one end of a spectrum that has creationists on the other side because creationists try to alter science to suit their arguments but I'm pretty sure Dawkins's science is accurate. I'm curious how you came to your conclusion that God most likely doesn't exists?
OK, assuming I am not delusional, I believe in something there is no scientific proof for. I totally agree with that. Dawkins, OTOH, believes that God doesn't exist but he has absolutely no scientific proof that God does not exist. So how does that make God a delusion? Until he has scientific evidence that God doesn't exist then he cannot claim that God is a delusion.

I also believe there is life on other planets. The only reason I believe that is it is difficult to believe we are alone and the only planet among billions that could support life. I have no scientific proof. Does that make extra-terrestrial life a delusion or a possibility?

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"