View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
No one wants to be called an idiot. What is the difference between Dawkins calling religious people idiots and religious people telling Dawkins he is going to hell? Why do religious people believe certain people go to hell? Is it not because they are bad, immoral people? You can't see how someone may take offence to being called immoral? Do you really believe Dawkins thinks all religious people are idiots? Many of the points Dawkins makes are not warped up in bad science and like I stated over and over again I think some of them are valid points. I don't agree with everything he says but I do some of it. Just like I don't believe religion is all evil. I've taken a stance here in order to have a debate and I personally have enjoyed our back and forth conversation because threw debate you better understand other peoples point of views but in debate you need to take a stance. In this case I have been arguing against religion and like I said I don't think everything about religion is bad.
I actually believe in idiots, Dawkins presumably doesn't believe in hell. You misunderstand the Christian understanding of Heaven and Hell. Heaven means to be with God, and Hell means to be not in the presence of God. The Bible says that "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life." It has nothing to do with being moral or immoral. It has to do with faith. However, faith should bring about a change in lifestyle and therefore you should live a moral life if you have faith. (That's not to say those without faith don;t live moral lives). Christians believe you need faith to go to heaven. But hell is not a place of fire and brimstone. It may very well just mean that you cease to exist.

I would probably also agree with Dawkins on some points if he hadn't got my back up by calling me an idiot because I have faith in something I can't prove.

I have enjoyed our discussion too. I like to debate my faith with people of all faiths and none and to some extent I do it for a living. It's more fulfilling with adults though

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"